Supported ID Types
When a document is uploaded to Berbix, we perform three main tasks:
- Data extraction
- Fraud detection
- Image comparison
In this guide, when we say we officially support a document type, we mean our system has been trained to confidently perform all three tasks for that document, including the recognition of fraud indicators specific to that ID type.
If an ID type is not officially supported, we still attempt to complete all three tasks. For example:
- We can extract data (name, date of birth, expiration date, etc.) from unknown ID types with latin characters.
- We can recognize general fraud indicators such as photo manipulation on any ID.
- We can compare the photo in any ID to selfie and liveness images provided by the user.
Exception: Due to to legal restrictions, Berbix does not permit the use of U.S. military ID cards for identity verification.
We officially support any document which complies with the ICAO spec for types: TD1, TD2, and TD3 size machine readable travel documents (MRTDs).
In addition, Berbix officially supports validation for the following identity document types:
- AAMVA-compliant driver license or identification card. This includes all state or provincial issued driver licenses and identification cards in the United States and Canada. AAMVA-compliant identity documents will include a PDF417 2D barcode on the back of the ID.
- ICAO-compliant machine readable travel documents. This includes all passports worldwide as well as many national ID cards. These travel documents will include a machine readable component on either the front (passports and national ID cards) or the back of the document (national ID cards).
Officially Supported Document Types
Berbix officially supports passports for all countries globally.
In addition to passports, our system has been trained to recognize specific fraud indicators for the following ID types.
|🇺🇸 United States||State-issued driver's license|
State-issued non-driver ID card
Permanent resident card
*In addition to the 50 states, drivers licenses and ID cards issued by U.S. territories and the District of Columbia are also supported.
|🇨🇦 Canada||Province-issued driver license|
Permanent resident card
Alberta ID card
New Brunswick photo ID card
Newfoundland and Labrador photo ID card
Nova Scotia photo ID card
Ontario photo card
Prince Edward Island voluntary ID
Saskatchewan photo ID card
B.C. health card
Quebec health card
|🇲🇽 Mexico||INE/IFE voter card (Credencial para votar)|
|🇬🇧 United Kingdom||Driving license|
|🇩🇪 Germany||National ID card (Personalausweis)|
|🇫🇷 France||National ID card (CNI)|
|🇮🇹 Italy||National ID card (Carta di identita)|
|🇪🇸 Spain||National ID card (DNI)|
|🇵🇱 Poland||National ID card (Dowód osobisty)|
|🇳🇱 Netherlands||National ID card (Nederlandse identiteitskaart)|
|🇵🇹 Portugal||National ID card (Cartao de cididao)|
|🇷🇴 Romania||National ID card (Carte de identitate)|
Official support for IDs in the following countries is on our roadmap for upcoming development:
- 🇦🇷 Argentina
- 🇦🇹 Austria
- 🇮🇳 India
- Other EU
*Please note that this coverage does not include app translation. Berbix does have certain translations available via SDKs.
If you are a current enterprise-level customer, you may request official support for a country or specific ID type via this page. A member of the Berbix team will get back to you within 5 business days with an estimated timeline of when we can have train our system to recognize the unique fraud indicators for that ID type.
If you are not yet a Berbix customer, please get in touch with our team and let us know which country or ID you're looking for here.
Want to move forward with an ID type we don't officially support yet?
If you'd like more information on what a verification would look like for an ID type not on the list above, send us an email!
© Berbix Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated 6 months ago